Monday, February 18, 2013

Feathers



And I was born;
Naked.
Heaving chest, screaming breaths
Nursed and then allowed to rest.
Sooner than they could imagine
I would leave the nest.

And I was bourne;
Skyward.
Mounted-up on feathery limbs
Buffeted by the Western Winds
Seeking after all the kinds of vanities;
How pleasant were my whims!

Each new pleasure never gave
But rather took, and how depraved
Was I to think that I had gained
Something worth exchanging for my
Power of flight.

And then came the night.

No feathers now to keep me warm
Each one surrendered to some form of
Shadow-figure dark-deceiver false-hope-leaver
And every time I gave one feather
I received some token promised to be beneficial
I was told that it was silk or gold
But all I ended up with was rocks and tar and lead.

But just as I’d despaired of life
A shadow swooped down from the night
A warm, mysterious someone
Whom I had heard before.

He gave unto me feathers anew
He covered my form with refreshing dew
I mounted up on wings restored
And above me-ever above me-he flew

And now new feathers I have received
But somehow I oft desire to give
A feather when I know I should not.
His grace is sufficient for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment